As you may have noticed from previous cocktail recipes, I really love cherries! This is a great winter time cocktail that looks marvellous in the glass. A very lovely bartender in a Leeds cocktail bar I used to frequent (surprised huh?!) told me that lemon is to cocktails as salt is to food and can really enhance the flavour. Personally I think it makes a real difference here so worth making the effort with the fresh lemon juice!
- 1 bottle of Prosecco
- 1 can of whole cherries (not pie filling, but canned cherries. You can find them in most supermarkets, canned in a light syrup)
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Drain the cherry juice into a saucepan. Put the cherries in a jar for later.
- Simmer the juice with the thyme sprigs over a low heat for about 5 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool.
- Pour the cooled juice back over the cherries.
- Put about 1 to 2 tablespoons of cherry juice in the bottom of a champagne glass. Add one cherry to the glass then fill up with Prosecco. Garnish with a small sprig of thyme if you like and squeeze a bit of lemon juice in each glass.